Fracking (hydraulic fracturing): What’s It to You?
Almost everyone has heard of fracking at this point. Water, sand and certain chemicals are driven down into deep rock formations under high pressure in order to release natural gas deposits.
Wastewater, high in toxic chemicals, is released. Even if mines attempt to drive the water deep into the earth it leaches into our drinking water, contaminating the water for generations to come.
What does this have to do with you? You may even be opposed to fracking.
- ½ to 1 barrel of waste water is produced for each barrel of fuel.
- 1 barrel of fuel equals 12 gallons of diesel fuel and 19 gallons of gasoline,
- which equals maybe a month of driving a Mercedes at 10 miles a day or
- a month and a half for regular fuel.
- if you only drive 10-20 miles a day.
- 5-10 barrels of waste just from your driving alone
- water that is poisoned, potentially forever
The big question: what can I do?
Have Sunday walks instead of Sunday drives, combine trips, take the bus, rideshare.
Start small work your way up, driving less every month.
More fuel; less water, forever.
Take a long slow drinking savoring the taste and the cool trickle down your throat.
It’s your water.